Rights of Way

There are approximately 800 kilometres (500 miles) of public rights of way within Caerphilly County Borough Council, linking our villages and towns and providing access to our beautiful countryside.

If you’re not using them, look at what you’re missing…


What is a Public Right of Way?

A public right of way is a path recorded on the Definitive Map and Statement under the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949. These paths can vary in nature from rural to urban paths, but shouldn’t be confused with ‘footways’ which are ways set aside for pedestrians at the edge of a carriageway (usually known as a pavement).

Footpaths – over which the right of way is on foot only.
Bridleways – over which the right of way is on foot, riding or leading a horse and on pedal cycles.
Restricted Byway – (formally a Road Used as a Public Path – or a RUPP) – over which the right of way is on foot, riding or leading a horse, and also in or on vehicles other than mechanically-propelled vehicles – which gives a right of way for pedal cycles and drivers of horse-drawn vehicles.
Byway Open To All Traffic – over which the right of way is for vehicular traffic, but is used mainly for the purposes for which footpaths and bridleways are used.

Green Lane – a term which holds no legal meaning.  It is instead more of a description of the nature of a track, which may, or may not carry public rights of way.  These paths are therefore not recorded on the definitive map.

Permissive paths -  where the landowner (which may be the Council) has given permission for the public to walk across their land. These paths are also not recorded on the definitive map.

More Information

Contact Us

If you have not found what you are looking for within these pages, please get in touch with the Rights of Way team by any of the following methods.

By Telephone: 01443 86 - ext 6645/6669

By Email:        RightsOfWay@Caerphilly.gov.uk

By Post:        

Rights of Way Section,
Countryside and Landscape Service, Green Spaces and Transport Services, Bargoed House, 1, Gladys Way,  Bargoed, CF81 8AB

We recommend booking an appointment prior to calling at the Offices, to ensure a member of staff is available to assist with your query.


Website by Andy Grant