Childcare Regulation

Who are Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW)?

CIW regulate and inspect to improve adult care, childcare and social services for people in Wales. They are the regulator for social care and social services in Wales, from child minders and nurseries to homes for older people.
They aim to:
  • Provide independent assurance about the quality and availability of social care in Wales
  • Safeguard adults and children, making sure that their rights are protected;
  • Improve care by encouraging and promoting improvements in the safety, quality and availability of social care services
  • Inform policy, standards and provide independent professional advice to the people developing policy, the public and social care sector.
CIW inspections
They inspect:
  • childminders
  • day care services for under-12's
  • adult services including care homes, nursing homes, domiciliary care
  • agencies, adult placement schemes and nurses’ agencies
  • children’s services including fostering and adoption agencies
  • boarding schools, residential family centres and special schools and further education colleges with students under 18
Inspections are unannounced, including evenings and weekends, and they inspect more than 6,000 services.
After each inspection CIW write a report which is published on their website. They can also provide reports in alternative formats and languages.
Putting people first
At some point everyone will need care. CIW put people and their experiences at the heart of what they do.
Inspectors talk to people and listen to their experiences. If you would like to know when an inspection has taken place, ask the service to let you know. CIW check that services are providing good care and if they are not, they take action. People deserve the best care. Inspectors see daily examples of excellent care in Wales, but when they don’t, they act.
Working together
They work to make people’s lives better, but they need your help. They need you to be their eyes and ears on the ground – to tell them if you have concerns, but also let them know about the good care you see.
You can:
  • provide feedback via their website
  • call their dedicated concerns teams
  • ask the service to let you know when an inspection has taken place so you can fill in one of their questionnaires.
You need to talk to the service first if you are unhappy about the care provided, as they all have their own complaints procedures. If you are still unhappy, let CIW or Family Information Service know. If you are unable to resolve a complaint with a local authority, independent care provider, or privately arranged and paid for social and palliative care, please contact the Public Services Wales Ombudsman. If you have a complaint about a social worker, please contact the Care Council for Wales.
Get in touch with CIW
  • Phone: 0300 7900 126
  • Website:
  • Twitter:
  • Email:
  • Address: Care Inspectorate Wales, Welsh Government, Rhydycar Business Park, CF48 1UZ