Alternative content

Get Adobe Flash player

Architecture

Since the house ceased to be a family home, it has been completely renovated. It now reflects its general appearance in the mid-seventeenth century although there is clear evidence both of earlier features and of some later adaptations.

A detailed appraisal of the architectural features and merits of the house was made both by the Historic Monuments Division of the Welsh Office and by the Welsh School of Architecture,  which was responsible for overseeing its earlier phase of  renovation in the 1980’s.

The work of restoring the Manor in the 1980’s was carried out to high technical standards, and using many contemporary techniques such as rough lime-based plaster for walls and ceilings. It was originally planned that the Manor would be used as a local history museum and therefore electrical fittings, heating and fire escapes suitable for that use were installed. The over riding principle and philosophy was to ensure that modern changes to an historic house were clearly visible and enabled the history of the building to be ‘read’.

However, it was eventually decided to interpret the building to the public using live first person Interpreters who become Prichard’s servants in the year 1645. The technique of interpretation we have used since the Manor opened to the public in 1991 involves the historic interpreters dressing and speaking as they did in 1645. They inhabit interiors furnished appropriately and show the lives of the servants through their work, their cares and concerns. However, up until now they have also had to steadfastly ignore the modern lighting, heaters and fire escape as though they didn’t exist!

The works undertaken in 2014-2015 have been to remedy the situation and return the interiors to a completely period setting. The lighting now looks right- in lanterns which cast a warm gentle light into the rooms, the background heating is out of sight and more fireplaces have been opened up so that we can have more log fires in the