COUNCIL OFFICE

Penyrheol, Trecenydd and Energlyn Community Council
1 Lower Brynhyfryd Terrace
Senghenydd
Caerphilly
CF93 4GR

 

 

History

Groeswen Chapel

Groeswen ChapelGroeswen Chapel, Groeswen (National Grid Reference ST. 128 870)

Built in 1742, Groeswen Chapel was the first purpose built Calvinistic Methodist chapel in Wales. The rise of the Nonconformist faith in Wales began in the seventeenth century and was bolsted by Cromwell’s victory in the Civil War.

However, the collapse of the Republic and the restoration of the Monarchy in 1660, led to a period of persecution. This faded after the Toleration Act of 1689, which allowed greater religious freedom and permitted Nonconformists to build their chapels and worship under licence. With this new freedom the Nonconformist faith in its various guises grew and spread throughout Wales.

From 1745 to 1789, the minister of Groeswen Chapel was William Edwards. Edwards was a native of Groeswen and was an accomplished mason and bridge builder. His most famous bridge was the single span bridge over the Taff at Pontypridd.

By 1752 Groeswen had broken away from the Calvinistic Methodists and become an Independent chapel. Growing congregations at Groeswen meant that the Chapel was extended twice in 1766 and 1831. The vestry was added in 1866. Today, its graveyard is adorned with spectacular memorials.

Energlyn / Eneu’r-glyn (genau+y+glyn)

The settlement gets its name from its location at the mouth of the Rhymney valley north of Caerphilly.  “Genau” is a Welsh word for mouth or jaw, though very rarely used in place names. 

The English equivalent that is used today is simply a local Welsh pronounciation of the original Welsh name, though both versions have been in use for many years, Energlyn appears in 1729 (coming from Generglyn 1525 for example) but Eneu’r-glyn, the correct Welsh spelling, was used on county maps in 1885.

Pen-yr-heol (pen+yr+heol)

Literally meaning “the end of the road”, the name derives from the location of the settlement at the top end of the road coming up from Pwll-y-pant in the valley below through Energlyn.

Trecenydd (tref+the saint’s name Cenydd)

This post-war housing estate settlement takes its name from the church dedicated to Saint Cenydd.  (See also Senghenydd).