During the period 2013/14, our team of Community Safety Wardens have carried out 8,791 hours of patrols within the Caerphilly County Borough.

They have also visited a total of 1,458 ‘hotspot’ locations and attended a total of 166 community meetings.

Our CCTV operators monitor 150 cameras throughout the county borough 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.



Contact us

01443 811307


Nuisance Neighbours

We all live our lives differently; have different daily routines and habits. Normally this doesn’t cause any problems. Sometimes however problems can occur and we can fall out with our neighbours.

Disputes with neighbours can be about a wide range of things. Common problems include:

  • Noise (from music, shouting, arguing, vehicles, D.I.Y., children or animals)
  • Boundary disputes
  • Animals not being under control
  • Children’s behaviour
  • Rubbish
  • Abusive behaviour
  • Vehicles (parking, repairs)

It is important to remember that your neighbour may not mean to cause a disturbance or upset you. It may be that there’s a difference in your lifestyles or routines. They may not even be aware that they are causing a problem. They may have problems of their own which are causing them to behave in the way they are.

Think about WHY they may be acting in this way.

For example:

  • Coming and going late at night may suggest they work shifts – perhaps as a nurse or taxi driver.
  • A garden full of rubbish may suggest they are not physically able to tidy up or make repairs.
  • DIY noise at weekends may suggest they are working all week and that’s the only time they have to do it.
  • Noise from TV’s etc, may be because your neighbour is hard of hearing.

Think carefully about whether your neighbours are a nightmare, or whether they are just different to you – what you do may irritate them too!

Are they new neighbours, are YOU a new neighbour?

The first step you must take is to let your neighbours know there’s a problem. Be polite as they may not have realised they are causing problems. Call round and calmly ask them if they could find the time to talk about it. Take a friend with you if you don’t want to go on your own, or write them a letter if you feel uncomfortable confronting them face-to-face.

Who to contact if the problem continues:

If you are an owner-occupier or privately renting your property you should contact the relevant local authority department and/or the police as follows:


This includes loud music, industrial noise or noise pollution such as dogs barking regularly, constant radio or TV noise, noise from vehicle engines, or DIY noise at inappropriate hours.

You should contact the Environmental Health Department on 01495 235036.

They will investigate your complaint and take action under the relevant legislation. If the problem is persistent and your neighbours fail to comply, they can make a referral to the Anti Social Behaviour Co-ordinator.

Environmental Health Officers provide a 24-hour service and may be able to respond immediately to your complaint. They may, if necessary, request that the police accompany them if they are called out to a likely volatile situation.


If you experience this type of behaviour you should report it to the police as soon as possible.


Including boundary disputes, fences, hedges and access.

Contact the Planning Department or where disputes regarding ‘High hedges’ are involved, the Environmental Health Department. Other disputes may need to be dealt with via the civil legal system; as a private individual you may need to seek legal advice from a solicitor.


This is a common cause of nuisance when children are encouraged to play ballgames and/or skateboard in the street, often outside homes other than their own. The council does not currently have powers to enforce prohibitive provisions for ball games or skateboarding. If children or young people are playing ballgames adjacent to your property and are causing a nuisance you should:

  • Ask them to move away from your property.
  • Or if you know where they live, have a word with their parents.

If you are abused or harassed as a result of your requests, or if damage to property occurs you should report the incident to your local police station.
If individuals can be identified as persistent offenders they will be referred to the Anti Social Behaviour 4 Strike process via the police Crime and Disorder Reduction Officer (CADRO).


including abandoned cars, rubbish, fly tipping, fly posting, graffiti, vandalism, damaged street lighting or bus stops. Please contact the Environmental Health Department on (01495) 235 036.

If the report is about a specific person they will contact the Community Safety Team who will investigate to establish if any further action can be or is already being taken against that person.

If the nuisance or anti social behaviour is more generalised i.e. in a wider area around your home and is being caused by more than one person you are not able to identify you should contact your local police station (or the Community Safety Team during office hours).

Violence, harassment, aggression, vandalism of your property or any behaviour that has an immediate impact on you or is criminal behaviour should be reported to the local police at the time of the incident.

Underage or illegal sales of goods including alcohol, cigarettes, spray paint or fireworks is dealt with by the council’s Trading Standards team. If you become aware that these offences are being committed you should report it to the Trading Standards Department on 01495 235036.


You should contact your local Housing Office. They can help in cases of neighbour nuisance, and /or disputes, and anti social behaviour. Your complaint may then be referred to the Tenancy Enforcement Unit for further action.

You should speak to your local housing office during office hours to report any damage to property and for help and support wherever possible.


All Housing Associations operating within the borough have dedicated Housing and Anti Social Behaviour officers who you should contact if you are suffering neighbour nuisance, abuse or anti social behaviour.

For further information and advice please contact the Safer Caerphilly Community Safety Partnership.