Supporting People



Who can get help from the Supporting People Programme?

Anybody over the age of 16 and needing housing related support can apply, either on an on-going basis or just for the short term. Examples of people we have already helped are:

  • People who find themselves Homeless or potentially homeless
  • Men or Women experiencing Domestic Abuse
  • People with Learning Disabilities
  • People with Mental Health Issues
  • People with Alcohol Issues
  • People with Substance Misuse issues
  • People with Criminal Offending Issues
  • People with Refugee Status
  • People with Physical and/or Sensory Impairment
  • Young people leaving care/vulnerable young people
  • People with Chronic Illness (including HIV and AIDS)
  • Vulnerable Families
  • People with support needs (includes hospital discharge)
  • Gypsies and Travellers / Migrants / Refugees
  • People with Dementia


What help can you receive?

We provide a wide variety of support including: -

  • Supporting individuals through the homelessness process to complete documentation
  • Support to ensure all housing costs can be covered (housing benefit application etc)
  • Raise awareness of and offer support to take advantage of facilities on offer in the community
  • Resolving difficult housing debt issues, such as rent arrears
  • Identifying education or skills needs and accessing relevant training or education
  • Maximising income/benefit entitlement
  • Assistance to complete a broad range of forms
  • Advice, advocacy and liaison with other agencies
  • Reading/understanding correspondence or bills
  • Promoting healthy lifestyles
  • Assistance to register for GP’s/Dentist/Opticians
  • Support to maintain good relationships with neighbours and others
  • Assistance to request repairs, use own appliances safely
  • Recognise and manage risk and feel secure within their home
  • Access to training, voluntary opportunities or employment

If you feel you would benefit from any of the above services please contact us
or download a Referral Form (word 272k)


How much does the service cost?

Most of our services are free of charge. These include all floating support services, as well as supported living for young people, women's refuges, hostels and some supported lodging accommodation

There is a charge for all council and RSL (Registered Social Landlord) sheltered accommodation, the community alarm service and the domestic cleaning service provided under the floating support scheme. You can complete a fairer charging or Financial Assessment Form if you feel you are unable to meet the full cost of the service.




How long can I receive the service for?

The service provided is based upon needs and outcomes, the length of time that a service can be provided is unique to each individual, the support worker will work with an individual to agree a plan of support, addressing needs and timescales to address concerns raised. The referrals will be prioritised at point of receipt to ensure a specialised provider delivers support in a timely manner.

This service is not long term


I've completed the referral form - how long do I need to wait before I hear from someone?

Within a week of receiving a referral, a desktop risk assessment is carried out; the appropriate provider is identified and contacted. A letter will be sent to the person being referred providing contact details of the provider and an acknowledgment letter is also sent to the person making the referral (if different).

The support provider will contact the individual separately to arrange a date and time to visit.