Contact us:
Winding House
Cross Street
New Tredegar
NP24 6EG

01443 822 666
windinghouse@caerphilly.gov.uk

  Like us on Facebook! Click here to go to our facebook page.    Follow us on twitter @WindingH. Click here to go to our twitter site.

 Join our mailing list      

Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence

       100% of our reviewers on Trip Advisor recommend us for a visit!

Click here to read reviews or to add your own.

 

 

  The Winding House has been granted the status of Full Accreditation by CyMAL: Museums, Archives and Libraries Wales

 

 

A History of Elliot Colliery

A History of Elliot Colliery

The coal boom of the 19th century hit the Rhymney Valley just as it did the rest of the South Wales Valleys, and within just a few years it had transformed the quiet hamlet of White Rose into the busy mining town of New Tredegar. The town was named after Lord Tredegar, who owned the land upon which it stood.

One of the first of the modern "super pits" to be sunk in the Rhymney Valley was Elliot Colliery. The mine was owned by the Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Company Ltd.  and was named after George Elliot, one of the men who founded Powell Duffryn. 

Elliot Colliery had 2 shafts. The West shaft was approximately 402m deep (1320 feet) and work began to sunk the shaft in 1883, taking 23 months. The East shaft was approximately 484m deep(1590 feet ) and its sinking began in 1888, taking 15 months . By 1891, the new winding engine at the East Shaft had begun raising coal.

During its peak, prior to the First World War, Elliot Colliery produced over a million tons of coal per year and employed around 2 800 people. Many experts at the time, described its coal as being of the best quality.

Elliot Colliery’s surface plant and buildings included lamp rooms, explosive stores, workshops, the washery, railway sidings and in later years, a canteen and baths. Below this was a complex network of tunnels and roadways leading to and from the coalface.

The colliery closed in 1967. Its buildings were demolished and machinery sold or scrapped.

Fortunately the East Winding House and its Thornewill and Warham steam engine survived. The Grade II* listed winding house and Victorian winding engine form the centre-piece to the Winding House museum.

Miners from Elliot Colliery, pictured before their shift underground, c1920s. Copyright Winding House, Museums and Heritage Service, Caerphilly County Borough Council.

Visit Wales Accredited AttractionValleys Essentails Top 10

The Winding House project was financed by the
European Union's Objective 1 Programme, the Welsh Assembly Goverment
and Caerphilly County Borough Council.

European Union Objective 1 logo Welsh Assembly logo Caerphilly County Borough Council logo